I made these by melting a blob of wax onto a mandrel, mounting it in the flexible shaft drill, and turning, using various burins and files to achieve the cut. Then they were marked up, drilled and pierced with a saw. then carved with tiny chisels. After that they’re cast and cleaned up. The lathe technique allows one to make an accurate setting which is one with the piece.
A friend who lives in New Zealand has a daughter who’s getting married. They wanted the wedding rings to include pieces of New Zealand greenstone, or pounamu, a form of jade. A piece was found and dispatched to me. The rings below were the design we eventually settled upon.
As you can see if you look carefully, the bigger ring is not set. The stones are cut in a wedge shape and slid sideways into a slot in the ring. The outer corners of the stones have a slight bevel, and the idea was that I would then move the metal over the bevel with a hammer and punch. But the problem was that when I hammered from one side the stone popped out of the other. I fiddled with growing irritation for about 15 minutes, then I laid the ring plus stone on its side in setting wax securing it in place while I closed the metal over. I then removed the ring and turned it over, and completed the setting.
I have opened a site which consists entirely of pictures of jewellery I have made. Click here or on the image to have a look.